Our Volunteer Program is currently full and we are not taking online applications again until August 2013.
Volunteering provides you with the opportunity to develop your own personal and professional skills. People volunteer for many different reasons to gain practical work experience for their career or to gain personal satisfaction for a job well done!
If you are over the age of 16 years, dependable, friendly, enthusiastic, interested in animal conservation and enjoy working outdoors, Volunteering at Alma Park Zoo may be just what you are looking for!
The minimum commitment for the Alma Park Zoo Volunteer Program is:
- One full day each week for 3 months
- One full day each fortnight for 6 months
Volunteer duties at Alma Park Zoo are split into three primary Areas:
Animal Care Duties
Volunteers assigned to Animal Care Duties would work closely to assist our Keepers by:
- Preparing special foods for the animals meals each day
- Creating enrichment toys for our playful and inquisitive animals.
- Sweeping, hosing, raking and cleaning the windows on animal enclosures
- Being available in some of our walk through enclosures to answer questions or assist children with feeding and interacting with the animals.
- Assisting Keepers with animal presentations.
Customer Relations Duties
Volunteers assigned Customer Relations duties would perform some of the following activities:
- Welcoming guests to the Zoo
- Providing suggestions to guests who may look a little lost about how to get the most out their day at Alma.
- Assisting visitors to find amenities or locate venues for Shows and Presentations.
- Assisting disabled guests
- Providing behind the scenes assistance with special weekend events or children’s activities.
Garden Care Duties
Volunteers assigned to Animal Care Duties would work closely to assist our Groundsman by:
- Assisting with renovations of enclosures
- Care of 12 acres of 40 year old Gardens.
- Fountain and waterway maintenance
- Irrigation maintenance
How do I apply for Volunteering?
Volunteering at Alma Park Zoo is very popular and our program is currently at full capacity. We will be doing another Volunteer intake during August 2013. Please check back on this page for the links to the Online Applications for Volunteering.